Monthly Archives: April 2020
Welcoming spring in a world of social distancing
First, some information to make it easier to navigate this new COVID-19 way of being…
Westport Island COVID-19 Services & Resources
Town Office staff are working remotely and are regularly at the Town Office to collect mail and deliveries in the mail drop slot to the left of the Town Office front door where residents can deliver checks and other correspondence. Staff are conducting town business during regular office hours by phone and email (Tuesdays: 11 am – 6 pm; Thursdays: 9 am – 2 pm). Please leave a message, and staff will get back to you.
Many services are also available via the Town website’s online resources – consult the “I Want To” section for an easy link to what you may need.
Where services rely on proof of identification, please be sure to mail or drop a copy of your license in the night box or take a picture of it and email it.
Martha Hayward, Treasurer/Tax Collector (207) 882-8477, ext. 1
Dedee Greenleaf-Hodgdon, Municipal Agent (207) 882-8477, ext. 2
Julie Casson, Town Clerk/Registrar (207) 882-8477, ext. 3
Gaye Wagner, Deputy Clerk/EMA (207) 882-6084 (leave a message)
George Richardson, 1st Selectman (207) 882-8477, ext. 4
• Bureau of Motor Vehicles Public Notice (Note: Registrations issued by a municipality, including temporary registrations, are extended until 30 days following the end of the state of emergency.)
• Registering Motor Vehicles and Trailers (To more easily provide required information to Dedee, please complete & return this re-registration form with your check. If you call or email her in advance, she will provide you with the amount of the fees.)
• Registering Boats, Snowmobiles & ATV’s
• Hunting & Fishing Licenses
• Parental Residency Affidavits to Register Children for School
• Registering to Vote or Requesting an Absentee Ballot
• Dog Licenses (Note: Dog licensing is canceled for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency plus 30 days.)
• Vital Records
• Marriage Licenses
• Shellfish Licenses
• Business Licenses
• Burn Permits (Note: The WVFD is not currently issuing burn permits due to the COVID-19 situation.)
• To have questions answered about COVID-19 at any time, individuals may call 211 Maine by dialing 211; by texting our zip code, 04578, to 898-211; or by emailing email@example.com
• Lincoln County COVID-19 Resource Page — a one-stop collection of current Executive Orders, Maine CDC, health information, food resources, etc.
• Helping Hands for island food pantry and transportation resources
• Unemployment claims
• Small Business Administration Assistance
• Locally produced hand sanitizer
And finally, some reasons to smile…
To welcome spring, some of our neighbors have been busy “dressing up” the town (observing appropriate social distancing, of course). The Horticulture Committee has been sprucing up the Wright Landing gardens; Richard DeVries has been installing new flooring in the Wright Landing House; Ken Shepherd and Cheryl Anderson have been dressing up the Main Road with their artistic mailbox sentinels; and Bailey has been “homeschooling” her children in community service and landscaping while pruning and building a stone walled planter at the Westport Volunteer Fire Department — it seems another of Bailey’s lessons may have taken place at the Town Hall. …Others have just been taking time to smell the daffodils.