A Westport Island Farewell
Colby’s Groceries passes into history
Although there is not currently a general store on the Island, there have been several over the years. One of them, Colby’s Groceries, still stood until recently. The wear of the years finally forced its current owners to have the decaying structure demolished last month.
There are still residents on the Island who have memories of buying candy and ice cream at Colby’s as children. In 2014, the only sign inside the small structure of its former commercial history was a Cigarette License still clinging to the wall. The license was issued to Ellsworth Colby on February 26, 1947. Earl Grant turned the license over to the History Committee as a momento of the little store’s past. Farewell Colby’s Groceries…