Westport Volunteer Fire Department Snuffs Chimney Fire
What should have been just another Wednesday night meeting for the Westport Volunteer Fire Department ended up being a full dress exercise. A chimney fire at 325 Main Road interrupted the supper hour and kept firefighters busy for an hour or two on a wintery cold evening.
Volunteer firefighters Jason Abbott and Stacey Hutchison got to put their Basic Firefighter training to good use. They are both currently enrolled in training that will last until June for two nights and one weekend day each week to complete state certification coursework. The training is a huge after-hours commitment that they put to good use today. They were the point men up on the roof to extinguish a chimney fire that was limited to smoke and minor property damage. No one was hurt.
Thank you to a great turnout from the Westport Volunteer Fire Department and to Wiscasset Fire Department for mutual aid assistance with a second tanker truck.